A Z A L R
AZALR MEETING MINUTES
October 9, 2021
Meeting opened according to ritual at 1300.
ALR 13 Director Terry “TK” Kohl welcomed everyone to Williams.
Post 13 Commander Charlie Bassett welcomed everyone to Williams.
Department Commander Ben Headen introduced himself. He is honored to be here. He looks forward to what we can accomplish. The American Legion Riders are the largest program that raises the most money. He then led the 7 o’clock toast.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS (by Secretary):
CHAIRMAN: Gerard Brinkmann – Present.
VICE CHAIRMAN: Jerry Becker – Present.
SECRETARY: Lisette Eckman – Present.
ROLL CALL OF DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVES:
present (5): 1, 4, 5, 11, 12
excused (2): 2, 3
non-reporting (3): 6, 7, 8
ROLL CALL OF CHAPTERS:
Chapters present (14): 5, 7, 13, 19, 24, 27, 32, 39, 41, 54, 57, 93, 138, 140
excused (20): 2, 12, 25, 26, 34, 35, 36, 44, 58, 59, 61, 62, 91, 96, 105, 107, 117, 134, 143, 144
non-reporting (32): 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 23, 29, 30, 45, 52, 66, 68, 69, 76, 78, 81, 86, 87, 97, 103, 108, 109, 125, 126, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 141
READING OF THE MINUTES:
Minutes of the June 2021 meeting were previously emailed. A motion was made by Robert “Slim” Velasquez, it was seconded, none opposed, motion carried.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS and COMMITTEES: CHAIRMAN – Gerard Brinkmann
1. Introduction. Gerard “Gerry” “Ja-Hari” Brinkmann. He is proud to represent all of us in this appointed position. He is a retired Marine, artillery. He does work full time as a Border Patrol Agent. He’s been riding since he was 12.
2. Two district reps had to step down after elections, three new reps were appointed. D12: Robert “Slim” Velasquez Jr; D2: Donald “Duckie” Bracken; D4: Doug Stinson.
3. Appointed Kelley “Thumper” Wales as Communications Officer and Larry “Dexter” Arnold as Information Officer. Kelley will be in charge of emailing information out and Facebook group promoting. Larry will be taking over the website.
4. Appointed Lisette “Lizard” Eckman as Secretary.
5. Thanked John Moffitt for his years of dedication.
6. Traveling trophy - AZALR trophy that rotates every 8 days. Have to have a minimum number of riders in order to draw (depends on the size of your chapter). Extra cards are given due to mileage (every 50 miles gets an extra card).
7. Legacy Run ended in AZ this year. Nationally it raised $1,154,206. Thank you to D12 for the fuel line volunteers in Payson and for the awesome flag line along the highway. 15 volunteers from D12 on the fuel line.
8. Save the Brave 2nd Annual Ride for the Brave in July. Thank you to D1, D11, D12, D2, and D3 for all of their coordination escorting through AZ.
9. Get To Know Your Post starts Apr 1, 2022 - Mar 31, 2023. Enroll by Dec 1. Encourage your members to get involved. Department of Arizona will also be on the map. You can go to Department and get the tour of the department offices and memorabilia. Discussion over prices - clarification was made. $200 gets the Post on the map, a stamp, and 10 maps; $300 - 30 maps; $400 - 50 maps.
10.Resolution 5 went into place May 6, 2021. It officially recognizes supporters. Supporters must be members in good standing of The American Legion Family. It did take away the use of the title “President”. We cannot decide to go against this, no matter how much we dislike it. Mark Clarke, National ALR is giving until May 6 of 2022 to be within compliance. If your next election cycle was after May 6, 2021 you will be either Director or Chairman, if your elections were prior to May 6, 2021 can keep President until next election cycle. The order is out there, we have to follow it. Let’s focus more on what we do, and not what is on our vests.
VICE CHAIRMAN – Jerry Becker
1. Riding safety is number one priority. Post 66, Fall Convention, Nov 6, 2021 Road Captain class - send your Road Captains to this class to set some standards for riding. ALR riding manuals for AZ exist (see attached). Road signals do not come from your right hand - always the left.
SECRETARY – Lisette Eckman
1. If you receive the Directory, please always check on every entry for your Chapter. Report changes using the Google forms link at the bottom of the Directory. This creates a “paper trail” of changes in case there is any dispute.
2. Please check the AZALR calendar prior to scheduling an event or run.
3. When requesting to have an event placed on the calendar, please send a flyer as soon as it is available. These flyers can be attached to the event, so that all the information is readily available. Also, Google map links are now attached to events.
APPOINTED OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES:
D1: Possible new ALR in D1
D4: no report
D5: no report
D11: Starting to have Presidents’ meetings and letting all the over Chapters know what is going on in the District. Working towards regular D11 member meetings. D12: Slim gave his appreciation for being appointed to the position. 13 active Chapters that are working very closely together to make sure no one is stepping on another Chapter. Christmas Toy Run to Veterans home December 20. If you can’t go to Phoenix,
try to do this at the Veterans Home in your area.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER – Kelley Wales
1. No report.
INFORMATION OFFICER – Larry Arnold
1. No report.
AZ ALR BIKEFEST 2022 – ALR 24
OLD / UNFINISHED BUSINESS
1. By-laws changes: Section II k is being removed. Greg Attaway motioned to accept by-law changes with II.K being removed. Seconded. Discussion: AZALR Chairman is appointed by Department Commander. Chairman then appoints Vice Chairman and Secretary. District Reps are elected. Change to mirror the Legion so that there are three Vice Chairmen - one for each area, and starting in 2022 are elected. If By-laws are passed today, Chairman will appoint Area Vice Chairmen, with elections in 2022 at Convention. Clean-up of working “member in good standing”. Dennis Pittman: objecting to K (which has been removed), is it going to be put in the By-laws that Sons and Aux are eligible? Rodger Ely, Resolution and By-laws Chairman, said as long as you are a member in good standing of the Legion family, you are eligible to be an officer of your Chapter ALR, as long as you are in compliance with section VII.A. Ben Headen: the intent of II.K was to get legionnaires to step up, not to knock SAL. Dixie Becker: Why can’t the AZALR Chairman be an elected position? Answer: Chairmen are not elected positions.
Chairmen work at the discretion of the Department Commander. The election is a direction to go in the future. There are steps that we have to take. Definition of member in good standing: dues are paid, and you're not under suspension. Vote: 20 for (⅔ vote was reached). By-law changes passed.
2. Chairman officially appointed Jerry Becker (ALR 27) as Area B Vice Chairman; Donald Bracken (ALR 36) as Area A Vice Chairman; David Hay (ALR 25) as Area C Chairman.
3. Legacy Run to raise money for the Legacy Scholarship Fund. The fund is a Legion program, riders are the largest supporters. The scholarship fund is for children of Veterans who died in defense of our great Nation as well as Post 9/11 Veterans who are 50% or more disabled. Next year, we are going to call it a Pony Express, organized through District Reps as a posse and ride to all the posts in each district
to raise funds. Would like to make this an AZALR event with a big one-day final event for check presentation to Department of AZ. More information to come at the next meeting.
4. Traveling Trophy: Motion by Jerry Becker to change the laws of the traveling trophy to be two riders instead of the current rules. Discussion: If we bring it down to two members per chapter, more participation might be seen. Currently, chapters with 30 or less have to have three show up; 40-49 have to have four show up; 50 more more have to have five show up. By dropping this, you might be changing the amount of participation. Motion to put the word out and table for the next meeting. Discussion: suggestions to do it for a 6 month trial to see how it works. Motion to table passes.
January 8, 2022 ALR 138 Tempe
April 9, 2022 ALR 34 Cave Creek
June 25, 2022 Convention El Conquistador, Oro Valley, AZ
October 8, 2022 ALR 117 Phoenix
Food for thought: why isn’t the quarterly meeting at fall convention? Should we have a rider meeting at fall conference? Motion by Dennis Pittman to move the fall quarterly meeting to fall conference, seconded. Discussion: Motion to table to next meeting at 138 so 117 can have a say. vVote: Nays have it, Not tabled. Original motion to move the fall quarterly meeting to fall conference. Motion passes.
GOOD OF THE ORDER
1. Ben Headen: Historian, Deputy Judge Advocate, and Department Historian resigned. Resignation was accepted.
2. Bike Fest in two weeks, Oct 22-24. a whole lot of stuff going on. Register early. Rooms in Tombstone are scarce. Shuttle from Sierra Vista. Contact ALR 24 for more information.
3. Ash Fork (57) and Williams (13) will be doing a huge event May 13-15, Road Rash Rodeo: Bands, food vendors, alcohol venders, bike games, VA information. Goal is to raise money for Veteran suicide programs. They are trying to find a worthy charity. Swap meet, bike show, etc..
4. Dixie Becker, ALR 27 will be hosting an Oct 30 Spooktacularr Ride, in costume. It will be a dice run. Registration at 0900 KSU 1030. Post costume contest after.
5. Safford gun raffle, $10 a ticket.
6. Dyna wide glide raffle at Bike Fest. $20 a ticket.
7. D12 sponsoring MAM ride - 15 day ride, 13 stops. October 23 - November 6. You can pick up a map at any bar that is on the map. Booze wagon being raffled off.
8. D12 Capture the Flag event every Sunday. Tomorrow at Post 41, 1400.
9. Wreaths Across America has started. Wreath sponsorship forms are available. Wreaths are $15 a piece. It is really important to recognize veterans that have fallen.
CLOSING PRAYER: Jerry Becker
SALUTE TO THE FLAG